Lost your orthodontic retainers from your last orthodontic / braces appointment? Get a new set of retainers to ensure your beautifully straightened teeth remain straight!
Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment that was established in 1998 by Align Technology and is becoming an increasingly popular method to straighten and improve the appearance of teeth. It consists of a custom-made thin clear aligner that covers your teeth and gently moves them into the proper position over time. The aligners have to be changed every 2-5 weeks with each different one straightening a different part of your teeth.
Why Should You Get Invisalign?
Most people get Invisalign because they have:
- Misaligned teeth
- An overbite
- An underbite
- An open bite
- A crossbite
- Gap teeth
- Crowded teeth
Benefits of Invisalign
The benefits of Invisalign include:
- It’s almost invisible meaning that it’s not noticeable (people can feel confident wearing them)
- Easy to remove when eating or brushing your teeth
- Comfortable to wear
- They’re easy to clean (take them out and rinse/brush them with a toothbrush and water)
- Gives people their dream smile and boosts their self-confidence
- Can fix facial, jaw, and neck pain by helping to stop teeth grinding
- Reduces risk of gum disease (Periodontitis)
- Fixes bite issues (overbite, underbite, and open bites)
- Fixes the problem of overcrowded teeth which can cause tooth decay and gum disease
- A pain-free and relatively quick procedure
- You can continue to eat the foods you love without worrying about food getting stuck in your aligners
How Long Does it Take for Invisalign to Work?
On average, it takes about 12 months for Invisalign to work. However, you will begin to notice an improvement with your teeth just a few months into wearing your aligners.
How Long Do I Have to Wear My Invisalign For?
You have to wear your Invisalign for at least 22 hours per day to get the best possible results.
How Do I Take Care of My Invisalign?
- Clean them daily: Use a soft toothbrush and water to scrub them.
- Rinse them: Every time you remove your aligners, make sure you rinse them thoroughly otherwise they can become a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Soak them: Soaking your aligners regularly keeps them odour-free and clean. Drop your aligners into a cup of lukewarm water and let them soak for about 15 minutes.
- Take them out when you eat: Be sure to take out your aligners whenever you eat or drink anything other than water.
- Store them properly: Make sure to store your aligners in their case whenever you take them out of your mouth.
Why Choose Invisalign Instead of Braces?
Although it’s more expensive, Invisalign is fast becoming more popular than braces thanks to the following:
- Aesthetic appeal: Invisalign is made from clear plastic and doesn’t stand out compared to braces, increasing the self-confidence of the people who wear them.
- Easy to remove: Unlike braces, Invisalign can easily be taken out whenever you want to eat or brush your teeth.
- More durable: It’s common for wires and bands to snap on braces. With Invisalign, the aligners are more durable.
Is Invisalign Painful?
Like braces, Invisalign can cause discomfort and slight pain when the aligner trays are put into place. The discomfort should only last a few days. Drinking cold water and eating soft foods should lessen any discomfort you may feel.
Oral Hygiene Tips
Use an Oral B electric tooth brush to brush your teeth morning and evening, and floss in the evening. Do this everyday and you will avoid most common dental problems : tooth cavities and gum disease.