Important Facts that You Should Know
A filling is needed when a tooth has decay. It is part of restorative measures done by the dentist to fix and clean the damaged and decayed tooth back to its normal function and shape.
Most of us don’t realise we have tooth decay until we see the dentist during regular dental check up. Good looking healthy teeth on the outer surface may not be a decay free teeth. For this reason, the dentist will advise patients to take xrays and update their xrays every 2 years to check between the teeth for any decay.
Most Common Reasons Why People Need Fillings
- Not brushing and flossing your teeth after meals.
- Decay recurring near previous fillings.
- Cracked teeth.
The Duration for This Treatment
30 minutes to 1 hour per tooth.
“Practice good dental hygiene to minimize the need for fillings”
What is Fissure Sealants?
Fissure Sealants are a white or clear composite resin that provide a barrier against bacteria that can cause plaque and are designed to prevent tooth decay and cavities. It is one of the simple and most effective treatment to prevent the tooth decay. Think of it as a clear sealer on your teeth. It is mostly almost unrecognizable once applied by the dentist.
Why do people need Fissure Sealants ?
- Sealants are highly recommended in order to prevent teeth from decay.
- It is recommended to be applied on premolar and molar teeth (adult teeth). In which highly recommended as early as 6 years old and adults.
- As sealants are like protective coating for your teeth, until certain of time it can wear down or falls off (usually happen within 6 months). It’s a good idea to visit your dentist regularly every 6 months to check the condition of the fissure sealants.
Duration for this Treatment
5-10 mins per tooth.